X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elle or ANYBODY need ??'s answered

made no sense............
    Last edited by rear-ended; 08-21-2009, 12:54 AM.

Quit, take 4 weeks off, then find another job. Your questions don't even make sense.

Comment

Here's the thing.

The only person that believes that 4 weeks are going to make your herniated disks heal is you.

Your doctors, your insurance companies and even your office all think you need surgery. Waiting 4 weeks will not change that.

How did you arrive at the magical 4 week number? Why not 8 or 2 or 10?

I understand you are worried about the surgery. Your company, however, is not obligated to hold your job while you sit at home waiting for a miracle that won't come.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Slightly less blunt than cyjeff's response but essentially, resting alone isn't going to help you. You can work and your doctor supports this notion. If you are able to work your employer isn't obligated to give you a month off because you want it. The insurance company isn't going to pay for it if it isn't medically necessary as that could very well be seen as insurance fraud. If you don't have the accrued time there just isn't another option here. I'm sorry. ?Your choices are to have the surgery (which by the way I've known many many people to come through successfully) or continue working. The choice is yours but you just aren't going to be paid to sit home and maybe, possibly, hopefully get well enough to avoid surgery.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Sorry, that did come out more directly than I intended.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Unfortunately, when you are talking about WC, it is highly regulated. The carriers are audited and if they are acting out of accordance with the regulations, it means big trouble. That means they must have documentation to support paying you before they do so. They don't have the option of being "nice" and just paying you for 4 weeks of TTD that aren't medically indicated because they can afford it.

Whether quitting is an option for you or not is another matter. If you quit, not only are you not going to be paid for the time off, but should you start another job and need the surgery, if you have been there less than a year, you are not guaranteed leave from that employer while you heal.

You really need to have a serious conversation with your doctor about the necessity of surgery, the procedure recommended and the long term prognosis. If you have nerve damage as you previously indicated, that is really nothing to mess around with. Not all back surgeries are created equal and there are many techniques.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I'm only speaking from experience. That's what landed me back in the WC world. I was in motor vehicle accident at work 3 year ago. My co-worker was driving and needless to say he was trying to show-off and it cost me two ruptured disks in my cervial spine. My employer/IC accepted liability.

I was like you. I didn't want anyone cutting on my spine. I put it off as long as I could. The only thing that finally convinced me to have the surgery was going COLD TURKEY on all the medications. Lortab, Celebrex, Nuerotin, etc. It was only after that that I was able to really understand how much pain I was in.

I lasted all of 8 weeks before I called the surgeon and said "Get'er Done!!"

Good luck, waiting longer, taking, 4,6,8,10 weeks off isn't going to change anything............

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X