X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery and w/c

I was wondeing if w/c approves surgery
    Last edited by rear-ended; 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM.

There are no hard and fast rules for this. Sometimes it is reasonable to wait, and I've had plenty of employees who work 10 months of the year wait until summer when they are off to have their surgeries. Then there are others where it is just not medically adviseable to wait and it must be done immediately. In the rare case where I've had employees who simply put off the surgery or treatment for months or in one case years, we did not always pay for the conservative treatment in the interium. The theory being that we shouldn't have to pay for months of PT and meds that we ordinarily would not have to and aren't helping so that the employee can delay the inevitable. This has been upheld by the courts in my state but I would have to do some digging to see if that is also true in yours.

More importantly, I would talk to the doctor about the wisdom of waiting. If you have nerve damage, which is sounds like you do from your other posts, I would STRONGLY encourage you to speak to your doctor before postponing the surgery. Your health takes priority and you do not want to jeopardize that.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

You will get the best answer to that question from your WC claims adjuster or your attorney if you are represented. Most states allow WC to discontinue all benefits if the injured worker is not compliant with recommendations for treartment from the authorized treating physician. Surgery, especially of the cervical spine, may or may not help you and as you know is pretty much a last option.

If you decline surgery it is likely the ATP can and will declare you P&S or MMI and the IC will move for settlement. Most likely once surgery is indicated they will want you to get it scheduled and done as this can help eliminate further injury and casual connection issues for them. This is just a guess on my part.

Remind me what state you are in and I may be able to help you get more accurate information if no one else comes along that knows for sure.

Comment

Accupunction can fall under WC if it is indicated. I've had a few employees go that route but it is at best a pain/ symptom management technique and will not cure the problem. It isn't going to reverse the nerve damage.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X