This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workmans comp in michigan Michigan

I was hurt at work 7-2-07 back injury and been off a week , doctor from hospital says i can go back with restrictions, i am still sore and feel i cant do the work with in the restrictions what do i do ?also how do i file for workers comp ?

Did you report the injury to your employer? Should have done that first thing.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

yes was taken to hospital by ambulance

Comment

doctor from hospital says i can go back with restrictions, i am still sore and feel i cant do the work with in the restrictions what do i do ? Then you can see your own physician and see if he has a different medical opinion about your injury and work restrictions.

also how do i file for workers comp ? You don't. Your employer is obligated to file an injury report with their worker's compensation insurance carrier once they are aware of your injury.

Comment

If you filed the claim, not just told your employer on the way out the door you were hurt, you took the first step. If not, you need to do so immediately.

If your doctor feels you can return, I'd at least try to return. If it turns out you can't do the work, it shows you at least tried to comply. If there is a significant reason you don't feel ready to return, go back to the doctor. Straight from your state's WC site

What if the worker does not think he or she can do the job that is offered?

Answer:
          Disputes often arise concerning whether or not a worker can do the job that is offered. This is a question that can only be answered in individual cases and often requires the expert opinion of a doctor. Of course, a worker should never do a job that will cause injury or harm. In general, however, a worker is always better off to try a job that is offered. If a worker tries the job and is unable to do it, benefits continue or resume; but if the worker refuses to try the job, the employer is likely to challenge that worker's right to continuing benefits.

http://www.michigan.gov/wca/0,1607,7...10---F,00.html
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

You need to follow your state's WC procedures. One of the posters told you to see your own Dr. In Georgia, for example, that would have no impact at all since you must see one of a specific group of Doctors (panel of physicians).

Try to go back to work. if you cant, tell your supervisor and go back to the appropriate Dr.
            I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For the first 10 days you must treat with the doctor that the employer selects. After that, you may treat with someone else so long as you notify your employer.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

ok thanks for all your help i think i am gonna have to find a lawyer as i think i'm gonna get railroaded.

Comment

Originally posted by tatz View Post
                  ok thanks for all your help i think i am gonna have to find a lawyer as i think i'm gonna get railroaded.
                  Why do you say that?
                  Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

That is your right but right now, there isn't a lot an attorney can do for you. You have only been out a week and your employer is offering light duty as your doctor has indicated you can do. I don't know why you assume you will be railroaded before anything has even happened.

If you'd feel more comfortable with a lawyer for guidance, certainly you can do that but do be aware that in asking that person to be your representative, the insurance company and even your employer are going to be limited in their ability to speak with you directly. Absolutely a lawyer is recommended before you settle a claim or if treatment is unreasonably denied or if the claim is catastrophic. For your run of the mill back injury, you may want to consider waiting to at least see what your doctor says when you go back and how your employer reacts to your return on light duty.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X