Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Enemployment Benefits Pennsylvania

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Enemployment Benefits Pennsylvania

    I apologize in advance if this seems like a dumb question, but I tried a little searching and couldnt find the answer I want. Perhaps I was searching in the wrong direction, but here it is...
    Where does the actual funding for unemplyment checks come from? Is it something in the area of companies' insurance sends funds to local govt, then distributed to the individual from there?
    Judging by the responses to my responses so far I think I will read alot more then reply with what I *thought*, and trying to gain knowledge starting fromn scratch...
    Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

  • #2
    The employer pays all of it, except in a very few states and PA is one that requires an employee contribution. An employer is provided an "experience rating" once they've built a history of filing/paying UI taxes and having UI claims filed by ex-employees. The higher the unemployment benefits charged to the employer's "account", the higher the rate goes. The rate is determined annually for employers and is applied to the first $xx,000 in each employees' wages annually (in PA, that's the first $8,000).

    If the state runs out of money in the fund to pay all beneficiaries, it can borrow from the federal government under the federal unemployment tax act. The employer pays all of this tax.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 07-08-2007, 09:06 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.