X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work comp in CA; must Dr appts be paid California

Question?

Work comp injury and doctor appointment made during work shift.

Is it covered? Must the employer pay for time away from work during the appt?

thanks

Seeing that it is California, I cannot say.

Most other states do not require employers or carriers to pay for the time visiting the doctor after the initial visit.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

No. Employe's do not have to be paid for doctor's apointments that occur after the first day of injury. They are to be paid their full shift on the day of the accident, regardless of when the accident occured.

Comment

I live in Oregon, I recently had a workers comp claim due to second degree burns to my fingers, palm and wrist. I do not know about other states, but in Oregon, up until they release you for your regular amount of hours (light duty is irrelevant), and your company can put you to work with limited duty requirements, they have to pay you for time missed, even for doctors appts. For example, the WC doc realeses you to work, but not for 40 hours, you have to get paid for time off, if your doctors visit is during your normal working hours (also the 20 hours that you can not work). The doc in my case released me to work full time, light duty. I had an appointment to be seen, to hopefully get a full unrestricted release to work. I did. SAIF did NOT pay for me having to leave work early to make this appt, even though I had no say on when I went back. I hope this helps!!
        Last edited by turbowray; 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM. Reason: OOPS: employer would not have to pay for time loss Workers comp insurance did!!

Comment

What happens in Oregon is irrelvant as the rules are different in each state. There is only one state that requires employers pay for time spent at appointments and surprisingly it isn't CA or Oregon.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Just curious ElleMD which state is it?
            Last edited by BnThrDnTht; 05-22-2007, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Connecticut
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                Connecticut
                I feel very grateful then, that they paid me for my appointment to be released to light duty full time hours.

Comment

TY ElleMD.

BTDT

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X