This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No WC insurance? California

Try to make a long story short. I complained to my boss about an on the job injury asking for a form to fill out or info on going to the doctor. This was back on April 29. She said she didn't have the form and would have to find it. My g/f downloaded the DWC1 form off the CA website and had me fill that out to take in. However, the next day I forgot it and asked my boss if she had the form for me to fill out. She said no. I then asked her if she had a fax number so I could fax the form to her later that day. She said she'd have to get back to me. Then she left. I tried calling her to get it but my calls were not returned.

After April 30, we were gone out of town and the first day I came back to work, May 18, I gave the form to the assistant HR person. They were supposed to get the form back to me with the information on their insurance co on Sat. Sat comes and I don't get the form back but I get sent to a clinic. Great, right! All I want is this taken care of and never mind they should have done it sooner.

Well the doc says that the injury is a direct result of the job and I need to have more tests and follow up with him. And that I should either leave the job or face perm disability. When I go out to the front to talk to them she said "well we can't authorize anything else. Your employer only gave us his credit card for this visit".

Found out that this is NOT a WC clinic and do not handle WC. My employer does not have WC insurance. I left a message for them about this diagnosis and what I should do but no one is calling me back. I don't know what to do. Should I call the DWC? I just want this taken care of. Suggestions?
    Last edited by RRKNO; 05-21-2007, 09:58 AM.

Are you sure the employer isn't covered by insurance? If thas is the case, see here for details http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/faqs.html#5
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/claims.html
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you. I don't know for sure but they have refused to give me the name of an insurance company and paid for my one doctors visit with one of the managers credit cards. They wouldn't give me a form when I asked. And they haven't called me back about the ongoing treatment the doctor said I need. It's bad to assume, I know but that's what all the facts point to unfortunately. I'll look at those things, thank you again

Comment

Employers in CA are required to have WC insurance. No waivers permitted and even if you were the only employee. ElleMD has given you the web site for CA WC you need to go there read the rules. Further you need to get this injury reported ASAP so you aren't facing statues of limitation running out.

Comment

Originally posted by BnThrDnTht View Post
          Employers in CA are required to have WC insurance. No waivers permitted and even if you were the only employee. ElleMD has given you the web site for CA WC you need to go there read the rules. Further you need to get this injury reported ASAP so you aren't facing statues of limitation running out.
          Thank you. I actually did give them the form on 4/18. I went in yesterday to get it back with their insurance information on it and they basically admitted that they did not have workers comp insurance. No one would sign the DWC1 form but they just gave it back to me with the date they recieved it. I originally tried to report it in April but they wouldn't let me.

I'm calling the DWC today and probably an attorney.

Comment

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IWguides/IWguide16.pdf will walk you through filing a claim through UEF. An attorney wouldn't be a bad idea as there are a lot of steps and administrative procedures and if you aren't familiar with the process, it can be daunting.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
              http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IWguides/IWguide16.pdf will walk you through filing a claim through UEF. An attorney wouldn't be a bad idea as there are a lot of steps and administrative procedures and if you aren't familiar with the process, it can be daunting.

Thanks for that too. That looks like a lot of stuff but break it down and it should be okay. I wish I just had regular insurance to go deal with this but I don't and I'm broke so I'll start doing this process too, even while finding the right attorney.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X