This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC and personal injury case question California

I drive a company delivery truck, I was in an auto accident which was not my fault at all. Workers comp is going to send me a check for lost wages and they are taking care of medical bills (ambulance, ER, MRI, therapy). If I get a personal injury settlement from the person who hit me is workers comp entitled to 100% reimbursement?
    Secondly, when I return to my company (probably office work at first) does workers comp still pay my lost wages from my second job (bartender) which I may not be able to return to as soon?

Originally posted by ace21 View Post
    I drive a company delivery truck, I was in an auto accident which was not my fault at all. Workers comp is going to send me a check for lost wages and they are taking care of medical bills (ambulance, ER, MRI, therapy). If I get a personal injury settlement from the person who hit me is workers comp entitled to 100% reimbursement?
    Secondly, when I return to my company (probably office work at first) does workers comp still pay my lost wages from my second job (bartender) which I may not be able to return to as soon?
    I am not sure about the first question, but I am under the impression that WC only covers the job you were working when you got hurt, not a second job.

Comment

WC pays both wages. Hurt on job 1, WC pays 2/3 those wages and if you have a second job they also pay 2/3 those wages.

Comment

If you seek a third party claim, then yes, WC does have subrogation rights. WC can not collect from the third party claim more than they paid out, and there are a variety of ways to structure the settlement. You really need to discuss this with a lawyer though.

How TD works and when you are eligible for it or TPD is explained here http://www.dir.ca.gov/CHSWC/Reports/...book-3rdEd.pdf
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowray View Post
          I am not sure about the first question, but I am under the impression that WC only covers the job you were working when you got hurt, not a second job.
          That is not the case in the OP's state. Please make sure you check the facts before posting.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            That is not the case in the OP's state. Please make sure you check the facts before posting.
            I wasn't sure, that is why I said, I am under the impression. Sorry poster, bad info from a friend.

Comment

it's ok turbo. thanks ellemd. i did more research regarding temp. disability from WC and partial temp. disability so I guess i'll be ok regarding lost wages pay.
              I do have a personal injury lawyer but i just started this stuff so im learning as i go (like everyone else who is injured for the first time)

Comment

Originally posted by ace21 View Post
                it's ok turbo. thanks ellemd. i did more research regarding temp. disability from WC and partial temp. disability so I guess i'll be ok regarding lost wages pay.
                I do have a personal injury lawyer but i just started this stuff so im learning as i go (like everyone else who is injured for the first time)
                I wish you the best of luck, I will take more time to study my answers I get from someone else before I post. It is hard enough to go through this without the incorrect information. Thanks for being so understanding. I am very grateful to the senior members that help me along on things I don't know enough about! Keep us posted, so we know how it is going, as it progresses along!!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X