This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Injuries...NY New York

We are a small company in NY and we are interested in finding out more about how small companies handle minor injuries in-house.

Thank you!

Are you talking about providing first aid? Self-funding minor WC claims? Something else?

Comment

We would like to see what type of injuries people are self-funding.

We were thinking cuts, scraps, etc would be paid for by us. Injuries such as more serious like back injuries would go through our carrier.

I just wondered if there was a difference in how companies depending on the size handle injuries.

Comment

If you are talking about on site first aid that does not require a visit to a health professional, then yes, you can do that. There isn't really any cost involved from a WC claim point of view. Obviously you would have the cost of the supplies and if you have nurse on duty.

If you are talking about self-funding small claims, that you can not do. They must be reported as any other injury and you can not just by-pass the carrier. Now if you want to be recognized as a self-funded insurer you will need stop-loss coverage for those truly large claims but trust me, the process of becoming self-insurered is not an easy one and something that would be very difficult for a small employer to achieve.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

While Elle is technically correct, in all candor I've been "self-funding" minor WC claims for years - claims that are not recordable, clearly aren't going to become recordable, and will not involve any lost time. I simply tell the employee to have the doctor's bill sent to me and I have AP pay it. I'm not aware of any WC laws that would prevent an employer from doing this (at least in my State), although the carriers don't care for it all that much.

However, do not ever do this if it's a recordable injury or an injury that involves a strain, sprain, back pain, cumulative trauma, soft tissue injury, etc. While those can start out very minor, you never know what they'll turn into and you don't want to be explaining to your WC carrier why you didn't report the injury and paid the initial bills yourself.

Comment

Beth3 thank you. I have looked into the state WC laws in NY and understand what I have to report. I just wanted to know more about what other companies do to handle this. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Which isn't prohibited in WI but is in many other states. In NY anything beyond a single treatment of first aid must by law be reported to the state board and carrier.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X