Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

CA-2 Claim and New Chair? Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CA-2 Claim and New Chair? Texas

    Not related to my job, I suffer from a herniated disc in my lower back and sitting in an appropriate ergo chair is essential. In November 2006, my chair broke [it was 8 years old]. I asked my company for a new chair, as without lumbar support, my lower back became extremely stressed and after a month, it became impossible for me to rise from a sitting position after many hours of typing at my desk - and ultimately, caused me to be unable to get in and out of my car, and I missed several days work. A new MRI in December 2006 revealed a small annular tear and herniation. It is so very important that 70 percent of my time at work is spent with proper lumbar support. My HR department told me the only way to get a new chair was to file a CA-2 claim because the broken chair was aggravating my injury.

    I could not believe I had to file a claim against my company [federal office] to get a new chair for my back.

    Is it really necessary to file a CA-2 claim against my employer in order to get a new chair that supports my lower lumbar?
    Last edited by Byarb; 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM. Reason: additional facts

  • #2
    The federal government has its own unique way of doing things, doesn't it?. My guess would be that, if you're claiming that the broken chair caused or aggravated your condition, that they can require you to complete the form. Heck, if they even suspect that the chair was a factor, they are probably required by law to have you complete the form.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!


    • #3
      If it will get you the new chair, why wouldn't you just complete the form?

      That said, wouldn't a lumbar cushion do the same thing? If you are filing this as an ADA accommodation, bear in mind that your employer is not required to go with the accommodation you would prefer, only one that is effective. If a back cushion for $20 will provide lumbar support, they may not authorize the new chair.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


      • #4
        To file or not to file

        Thanks for the reply.

        Yes, I did in fact file a claim. My agency said the money for the chair must come from the department of labor, as they do not have the funds to replace the ergonomic chair I've used for the past 8 years.

        I am patiently waiting - it's been many weeks since I completed my CA-2, so hopefully I will get me new chair within another couple of weeks.

        I just felt as though it would have been much more simple to run to Office Depot and get a chair rather than continuing to sit for hours without any lumbar support. I do in fact have a lumbar cushion; however, the chair back I currently use causes an extreme bowing in the lower back and I cannot use it.

        All is well - I was simply wondering whether all the paperwork and filing of a claim was really necessary just to replace a chair.



        • #5
          If the company wants WC to pay for the chair it certainly is necessary to file the claim. I wouldn't hold my breath that it will be approved. It isn't clear which federal act you fall under, but typically only equipment that is considered durable medical equipment is approved.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.