X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I apply for SSDI now or later New York New York New York

Hello
    I was injured back in May of '05 as a vol firefighter (workers comp through FD). I briefly went back to work as a tractor trailer driver in May of '06. After just 5 weeks I needed to go back out again. I am now facing surgery for 3 bad cervical disks, 2 of which will be fused. If I am not back to work by June of this year my job will be lost. Question is.. do I wait to see how my surgery turns out or do I apply for SSDI now? I have been getting a reduced rate of 268.00 per week as I can do sedentary work. Volunteer fireman fall under another category (NY).
    Thanks

Edit: Surgery is March 26th
    Tom

You can apply whenever you want but SSDI isn't going to be approved based on what might happen after surgery. It also isn't meant to cover you because you lost your job due to the time you missed from work. It only applies if you are permanently disabled or at least disabled from working for at least one year.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks for the reply ElleMD. If I am unable to return to my job because of restrictions (ie light duty) would I then be entitled? I have been doing heavy labor at my job for the past 25 years
      Thanks
      Tom

Comment

It depends. SSDI is not necessarily available just because you can not return to the exact job you held previously. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/step4and5.htm will explain in more detail what SSA takes into account in awarding benefits.

You may however, qualify for voc rehab benefits through WC if you are unable medically to return to your former profession.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          You may however, qualify for voc rehab benefits through WC if you are unable medically to return to your former profession.
          Yes. This is what I'm referring to but just to make sure... what exactly is Voc rehab benefits
          Tom

Comment

Voc rehab is job training and placement assistance.

Comment

I understand it is job placement but am I correct when I say it also pays a percentage of the difference in pay from what you made before the injury? In NY I think I was told 80%
              Tom

Comment

Not exactly. You would still get paid the 2/3 salary while in voc rehab. If you are making less after you find a job, that would come into play when you settle your claim or go for permanent partial disability benefits.

Comment

I appreciate all the help. I'm hoping I'll be back to the ol' job
                  Time will tell. Thanks
                  Tom

Comment

Actually

You can apply for SSDI anytime after you have been informed that your condition may keep you from working for more than one full year. You can recieve up to 80% of your prior income less any amount your are recieving from WC. You can recieve SSDI starting from six months off of work. SSDI does not pay Partial Disability. SSDI determines your ability to work based on all reports from all the doctors you have seen concerning your injury, your prior employment history and your educational level.

You can actually do most of the paperwork online. It took me four days to get mine all entered.
                    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
                    Last edited by rcpilot; 03-09-2007, 04:36 PM.
                    What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
                    what is heard is not always what is spoken!
                    ~M. Noitall~

Comment

Originally posted by rcpilot View Post
                      You can apply for SSDI anytime after you have been informed that your condition may keep you from working for more than one full year. You can recieve up to 80% of your prior income less any amount your are recieving from WC. You can recieve SSDI starting from six months off of work. SSDI does not pay Partial Disability. SSDI determines your ability to work based on all reports from all the doctors you have seen concerning your injury, your prior employment history and your educational level.

You can actually do most of the paperwork online. It took me four days to get mine all entered.
                      http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
                      Thank you. From what I'm reading I think I'll just wait and see how my surgery turns out.
                      Thanks to everyone
                      Tom

Comment

Actually, how WC coordinates with SSDi varies by state.

Comment

Originally posted by tpm419 View Post
                          Thanks for the reply ElleMD. If I am unable to return to my job because of restrictions (ie light duty) would I then be entitled? I have been doing heavy labor at my job for the past 25 years
                          Thanks
                          you have a good chance with this scenario.
                          a lot depends on your age, education level and the number of years in the trade and the physical level of work you do. 25 years is enough. you have to remember that the majority of people get denied the first time. With ssdi in nys and wc , you can receive 80% of your social security averaged earnings and wc before an offset. For instance if your average earnings were 50,000 and your ssdi monthly payment was 1000 and your wc payment was 1720 a month you would be able to receive both without offset, since they don't add up to over$ 40,000.
                          it may not be worth retraining.
                          Last edited by nynyny; 03-11-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

it takes time.

It also takes from four to six months for your case to be determined, according to their web site, although so far things have moved along quickly for me.
                            What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
                            what is heard is not always what is spoken!
                            ~M. Noitall~

Comment

Well my surgery is 2 weeks away. I will wait 'till afterward to see if I should apply and will keep you posted
                              Thanks
                              Tom

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X