• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUBLE HEALTH INSURANCE?? New York

Hello,

I recently started working for a new company that is offering me
    a great health insurance coverage plan;

The thing is I am already under my wife's health insurance plan.

Forgive my ignorance, can I have 2 health insurance plans?

Or can I join my company's insurance plan later on?

I am bit confused;

Thank you for your cooperation

There is no law prohibiting you from being covered on two plans at once. However, whether or not it is cost effective depends on the plans.

If you elect the coverage with your new employer, that coverage will be primary for you i.e. that will pay first. Whether or not your wife's coverage will pay any balances will depend on how they coordinate benefits. They may pick up part or all of the balances; they may pay nothing at all.

If you decline the coverage with your employer, you will not be able to pick it up again until either their next open enrollment period or until you lose (not, decide to drop; lose through no fault of your own) your wife's coverage.

If you should elect to do so, in THESE SPECIFIC circumstances you would be able to drop your wife's insurance in favor of the coverage with your new employer, as long as you do so within the first 30 days of your eligibility for the new plan. That is NOT the case in all circumstances and this is the ONLY time you will be able to drop her insurance unless it is HER company's open enrollment.

I know this is confusing so if you have more questions or need clarification, post back.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks for your reply cbg,

It'a bit confusing, I think is better to have two health plans than
      nothing,

if I select my company plan and one day I change

or lose my job then I still have my wife's coverage do I?

On the other hand, If for some reason my wife's plan

will not be available I can still enroll with my company...

The monthly deduction out of the paycheck for my
      company plan is about 15$, I guess I will just pay that
      fee and have two plans

Comment

Just for clarification (I'm not trying to persuade you to any particular course of action):

1.) If you elect your employer's plan and drop your wife's, and you later change or lose your job, you will have 30 days to go back on your wife's plan. You'll just need to provide them with something that shows the date that you lost your own coverage.

2.) If you stay on your wife's coverage and you LOSE it, you will have 30 days to elect coverage through your company. However, if you simply elect to drop your wife's plan, you may or may not be able to immediately pick up your own coverage.

3.) Unless your wife's company and yours have their open enrollment period at the same time, (which is possible but not guaranteed) the ONLY time you are guaranteed to be able to drop her coverage and add yours simultaneously, without having lost one plan or the other, is now.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

double coverage

Just to let you know, I had coverage on my plan as well as my husband's. I had to have surgery and had the biggest hassle get it covered. Both company's claimed the other was primary and it took me 6 months to get the bills paid. For me there was no advantage to having both policies since only one covered the bills.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X