This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker's Comp Pay/Tax & Ins. Liability Tennessee

I am currently on week 5 of W.C. and receiving 2/3 of my salary from the W.C. carrier. No taxes are being withheld. What are my tax liabilities? Are these funds taxable? My ins. is normally deducted from my checks. Can HR stop my ins. without notification? I am awaiting surgery. I noticed in the TN Law that if it were a back injury I should receive the option of both ortho and neuro. The company-referred doc. I saw the day of injury referred me to an ortho, after an MRI he says surgery. As an operating room nurse I would like the opinion and possibly have a neuro do the surgery. The insurance carrier says I have to go back to the original co. doc for a referral to neuro. The insurance assigned person is most hard to reach and drags her feet in decision making or I would have already had the surgery and be closer to returning to work. This is all a very frustrating experience. Any words of wisdom out there?? Just prior to my injury my employer over=hired and was requiring low work activity days. I at times was the only nurse and for 6 months worked 90-100 hours per pay period. I believe he is going to not find a need for me when I am able to return to work. What about that? debi874

TTD (2/3 wages) received from WC are not taxable. The wages do not count as taxable income at the end of the year. Since the money isn't coming directly from your employer, they aren't going to deduct insurance premiums. Most states also prohibit such deductions. You can always pay the premium by check to your employer.

Whether a nuero is appropriate or not is impossible for me to say. It depends on the injury whether a nuero or ortho is the better option, and I don't know what your injury was, nor am I a doctor. If you wish to get the second opinion, you will need to follow the procedures for this. This may include getting the original doctor to write a referral. That is not unusual at all, even outside WC.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Forgot to add that it would be illegal to fire you because you filed a WC claim. It would not be illegal to fire you for other reasons, including that you have been out longer than the 12 weeks proscribed by law (assuming that applies. I would wait to cross that bridge when you come to it. No sense worrying about something that may happen weeks from now.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X