Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does being on patrol affect your disability?
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Well, being a detective is really pretty light duty work. Interviews, followup, investigations, lots of paperwork. Being on "patrol" means you have a greater chance of being in a physical confrontation. It's a more physically demanding job. I have worked for PD's in the past where you were assigned detective work or desk duties while recovering from on the job injuries. That keeps you
      on-the-job instead of at home on injury leave or workers comp.

Comment

It still doesn't explain what effect this particular assignment has on this particular injury. I can imagine it would vary by the patrol area assigned. Graveyard shift in a housing project or bar district would be quite different than writing parking tickets and manning speed traps.

It also isn't clear why the transfer is taking place. If it is business related, then it is perfectly legal. If itis being done in order to retaliate for having filed a claim, it is not.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

KIT I am also a police officer and have been assigned to patrol for 17 years. I had a fight with a juv. mother during an arrest and ended up with Cervical spine surgery in 2003. Then I got rear ended in 2004 on routine patrol and ended up with severe spinal stenosis and had ACDF in February. I have been off work since November. I have been reassinged to a permanent light duty position. That is how my department works. I do not feel that I cannot return to work in a light duty capacity but am still have pain issues that need resolving. From what I understand to get permanent disability you have to be unable to do any work. You can surely do a light duty job. I for one could not afford to have a medical retirement as I would be paid a 20yr retirement which isn't so great. I would have to find supplimental work so I may as well return to work pain or no pain.

What are the injury rules of your department? If you cannot be full duty do you have a light duty option?

Wish I knew the answers about workman's comp pay or disability pay long term but do not.

Best of luck.

Comment

Aside fro mthe fact that you don't "get stenosis" from an accident, you do not need to be unable to work to get permanent partial disabilty from WC. In fact, just the opposite. If you were rendered totally unable to work as a result, you would get permanent total disability. PPD compensates you for the degree of injury as a result of the accident. It does not have anything to do with retirement or light duty that your emplolyer may offer. WC is a separate process though certainly these other factors play a part.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I had the 5th surgery last week and the Dr. found a torn bicep tendon and confirmed the arthritis. He expects me to be in a sling for a month. He theorizes the tear was a result of compensation due to the rest of the weak areas in the other parts of the shoulder.

I have contacted an attorney. He told me WC does not pay you a monthly check if you are not able to return to your duties. They pay you a lump sum for the TPD. We have a meeting for next week. I also have a PERS packet oredered up. Thanks to those that suggested it.

As far as the "light duty" goes, I unfortunately do not work for a large enough agency where a position could be created for me. The dept also does not have any obligation to accomodate me being as the injury was sustained at a different agency and differnt wc carrier. There is severe staff shortage issues and I was reassigned back to patrol just prior to my surgery. While the duties of a detective are different; the job classification at our agency reads the same and carries the same responsibilites. It's not just paperwork either. We are the ones kicking in the doors... Patrol work is all the same no matter the shift or district. The potential is always there, not to mention the strain the gear puts on your body on a daily basis.

Anyway, I am already looking for other employment. I don't think I could just stay at home, nor do I need or want to. I am capable of many things, probably just not an officer anymore. I hope to find something in the meantime to assist us financially.

Can someone tell me a little more about Short and Long term disability insurance? If I have that through my current agency, but was hurt at a differnt agency would I still be eligible for it?

Thanks again, sorry for the typos. One handed typing goes a little slow and not so accurate..

KITTNZ

Comment

No one can tell you if you qualify for STD or LTD as it depends on how the policy is written and whether your doctor and the insurance company agree that you meet the eligibility requirements. It would be unusual for it not to cover you if you were hurt somewhere other than your current employer, but not knowing the details of the policy or program, I can not say that for sure.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X