X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treated horribly, then fell into depression. California

Make this short..
    I was treated like crap for several months as they were trying to rid the department of a person by having them quit. This anxiety led me into a depression. They made up a ridiculous reason to terminate me after many years of employment there despite good reviews. Do I have any claim that
    the depression/anxiety led to my firing?

Thanks

Based solely on the information in your post, you have no legal claim against the employer of any kind.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Why aren't there laws against mistreatment?

I think there should be laws against mistreatment if it is causing the employee to have severe depression and stress.

Comment

I said, Based on the information in your post.

You haven't given us any information as to the type, nature,or duration of the "mistreatment" so how can we say if it was illegal or not?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Besides, you do have recourse to escape bad conditions at work or a mean boss.

You quit.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

What was the reason given for your firing? What type of harassment or treatment did you experience personally? Did your employer know you were depressed/ anxious? Why do you think this was the real reason you were terminated?
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by workingstiffwithFM
              Make this short..
              I was treated like crap for several months as they were trying to rid the department of a person by having them quit. This anxiety led me into a depression. They made up a ridiculous reason to terminate me after many years of employment there despite good reviews. Do I have any claim that
              the depression/anxiety led to my firing?

Thanks
              You have the right to file a Worker's Compensation Claim if you feel your work environment/job caused your depression. I can't say whether the employer's WC insurance carrier will accept liability or not but you certainly can file a claim and see what happens.

Comment

I filed a WC Claim because a series of events led to severe depression in MA and the claims adjuster agreed I should probably have been approved due to the circumstances but MA does not allow stress claims. How fair is that? What other recourse does one have?

Comment

Jobs all have some stress.

Very rarely is it considered a cause of any injury. In fact, almost never.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Well, for one, if your job is causing you enough stress that you need to seek medical treatment, you do have the option of seeking employment elsewhere. Been there myself. Unlike other types of industrial illnesses where by the time you are diagnosed with the condition, the exposure has already occured and can't be reversed easily. It is also extremely difficult to pinpoint any one cause of something like depression.

Your options if WC isn't approved are the same as for any other medical condition that requires treatment or time off. You may use your health insurance for the medical portion and any leave that is either granted by law of your employer as appropriate.
                    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X