This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any experienced settlement negotiaters? Pennsylvania

Hi,went on comp a couple years ago and without getting into the many details of the case the insurance company wants to settle.They are offering 2 years wages(12,000/year) and 1 year of my averaged medical costs (4200/year) which totals 26,000 apx.The man I talked to said at the closing of our conversation 26,000 was his "opening offer" but he had "room to negotiate". ANYONE with experience negotiating?My main question is this:when he says he has room does that mean I should ask for 30,000 or could I possibly go up to 40,000 or 45,000?I figured they would naturally start low but he just came right out and said he had room to negotiate.I want to avoid hiring an attorney cuz I really dont want to pay one if I can get the money myself.Thanks for any opinions!

You see, the details are everything when it comes to comp settlements. You can ask for the moon, stars and a couple of planets if you want, but that doesn't mean it will be approved. As settlements are legal documents, and the implications can be far reaching (those pesky details you don't want to mention) you really do need a lawyer here. Seriously. Entering into a legal settlement is not a do it yourself project.

I deal with these everyday and I wouldn't presume to try and negotiate a settlement on my own without legal representation. Hire thee a lawyer. It is worth the cost.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X