Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA-Can we easily switch to 4, 10 hr. days?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA-Can we easily switch to 4, 10 hr. days?

We are a construction company and some of our workers that now work 5 8hr. days now want to switch to 4 10hr. days. What are the legal issues around this? I have heard that it is legal, but that everyone in the department must agree? This seems odd. Can't people have different work schedules? Is this an OT issue or somehting else? Confused in Cali!

Not easily. Alternative or compressed work schedules are permitted, but there are some hoops you need to jump through.
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/iwcorder16sec3c7.htm
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Still confused re: alternate work hours in ca.!

if the field workers in a construction company want to change to a 4 days a week, 10 hours a day schedule, can they do this if everyone in that department votes for it? or does it have to be a company wide deal. the office staff are happy with 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. can the two departments have different schedules, as long as they agree they are separate? so confused!!!
      i found the iwc order link offered quite helpful, but i need some more general info. i can't quite figure it out.

Comment

The whole company does not need to change. If only the construction workers vote on the plan, then they are the only ones affected. That's perfectly acceptable.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Still confused re: alternate work hours in CA.!

Our workers want to give the alternate schedule a shot. I'm still confused about the process though. I know that we have to have a secret ballot election and 2/3 of them have to approve it. But do we really have to wait another 6 months to appeal that election if it is not working out for us? The guys are nervous and want to try the schedule out on a trial basis. They don't want to get stuck for 6 months. Is this legal?

Comment

The company can stop the program before 6 months- it's just that the employees can't force the company to stop it before 6 months.
              Megan E. Ross, Esq.
              Law Offices of Michael Tracy
              http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

Phew! Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X