This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stressed in ms

I live in MS and my husband was fired from his job of two yrs last week. He was unable to work the week before because his work partner had to take some time off to deal with a family problem.The following Monday,my husband had to call in.He goes to work on Tuesday only to find out they were firing him stating that they had to rearrange the work placements for everyone because of his absence the day before.Why was this not done the previous week when the partner was out so that my husband could continue to work.He also turned in all his uniforms upon recieving his last paycheck last week and now they claim a shirt was missing.This was counted correctly before, how is it short now? The company does this program in which they withold 10% of every paycheck. The employees recieve this pay (already taxed) every six months, June and December. The company told him they could not issue this to him until two weeks after termination.This Friday will make three weeks and he still has not recieved his pay.Is this legal? We really
    are in need of this to take care of bill that can't wait until they are ready to give him what his rightfully his to begin with.

Why was this not done the previous week when the partner was out so that my husband could continue to work.
    We have no idea. Whose responsibility was it to arrange for replacements and what did the fact that your husband's partner could not work have to do with why your husband couldn't work?

now they claim a shirt was missing.This was counted correctly before, how is it short now?
    We would have no idea.

The company does this program in which they withold 10% of every paycheck. The employees recieve this pay (already taxed) every six months, June and December. The company told him they could not issue this to him until two weeks after termination.This Friday will make three weeks and he still has not recieved his pay.Is this legal?
    Huh? This makes no sense. Is it a forced savings program?

This Friday will make three weeks and he still has not recieved his pay.Is this legal?
    What was his last day worked and when would he have been paid for that time had he not terminated? Has he received all of his pay except for this 10% holdback? Mississippi law has no provision regarding when a terminated employee must receive his/her final paycheck, but standard practice is by the next regularly scheduled payday.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I dont understand what the parters absence had to do with my husband either.I feel they should of at least gave him the choice to choose whether he or not he would work.It's funny how the supervisor could move people around so everyone could work to cover my husbands' absence,but was not even considered when my husband was told to come back in when the partner returns.As far as the uniform shirt,I believe this is just o ploy to try to deduct some of his earnings. They did the same thing in June of last year claiming they damaged some property(a chain-linked fence)with the trailer they were towing.They deducted over $200 out of my husbands 10% check to pay for it and he was not even the one driving!The actual drver was not charged a dime.This accident occured at least three or four months prior to recieving his check and learning he was charged and held responsible for it.
      No, they are not given a choice to participate in the program so it is forced.

Comment

Then he needs to file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor of all pay still due him, including this 10% holdback, which very well may be illegal.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X