This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal Time in AZ

Working in a hospital in Arizona, I have been told by my supervisor that I must begin clocking in and out for lunch. In the past, they have just automatically taken 30 minutes out of my time everyday for lunch unless I specify that I worked through my lunch.

Now, my question is this, if I start my lunch break and I'm about 10 minutes into it and I have to go back to my nursing station...what happens to the my 30 minute lunch break? Do I miss out or do they need to give me another opportunity to take the full 30 minutes meal period?

Arizona law does not require meal breaks, so they are not legally obligated to provide you with additional time off.

However, you have to be paid for all the time you actually work, and Federal law says that breaks of under 20 minutes must be paid. So in the example you describe, you would have to be paid for the 30 minutes; the ten minutes you were on break because it was under 20 minutes, and the other 20 because you were working. So while you would not get the time off, you would be paid.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X