Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Comp for Mandatory off-hour Meetings - NY

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comp for Mandatory off-hour Meetings - NY

    I am a full-time, hourly-wage dispatcher working 11pm-7am. All dispatchers were recently required to attend a 3PM meeting in the office. This meant getting up in the middle of my "night's" sleep, traveling over an hour to the meeting, remaining 75 minutes, returning home, then returning for my regular shift that night. Is my employer required to compensate me for the meeting time, travel time, misery time, double start time in the same day? What NY laws apply? Is there any difference in laws for New York City and the rest of the state? Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

  • #2
    To my knowledge, NYC does not have wage and hour laws of their own. If they did, it would be a rarity. NY (and federal) law require that you only be paid for the actual meeting time. They do not have to pay you for the drive time, disruption of your personal time, etc. And, to my knowledge, NY does not have a "minimum reporting pay" when you return to your job for a short period of time outside of your scheduled work day.

    Sorry. It's poor management on their part, in my opinion. You'd think they could have multiple meetings; that's common, for example, in 24/7 manufacturing plants. Unfortunately, there appear to be no laws which would compel them to make that option available.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.