Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long shifts in MO; (define "slave driver")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long shifts in MO; (define "slave driver")

Help?
    I live in Missouri and am payed hourly. Often times we end up in situations where we have to work in excess of 12 hours a day... I've had shifts that were as long as 30 hours. According to my employer the only compensation required is that we be given overtime for any hours past 40 in a set work-week. I've been unable to determine whether this is true... essentially what happens is we may put in 40 hours in 2 or 3 days but there is no compensation until we break our 40 hour week. It also commonly leaves us working anywhere from an 8-20 hour shift getting 3-6 hours off and then turning around to do it again. I know its in-humane but does anyone know if its legal?

Yes, it is legal. Your employer is correct; overtime compensation is required only when you work over 40 hours in a week. Missouri is not one of the very few states that requires overtime to be accrued on a daily basis.

Does that mean I agree with having an employee work 30 hour shifts? No, it doesn't. But it's not illegal.

You have one option that slaves did not; the right to find other employment.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That is true. Except for specific types of safety-sensitive jobs, such as airline pilots, interstate truckers, sometimes nurses, etc., there is no prohibition in your state regarding how many hours you can be required to work. Missouri follows federal law in that overtime at time-and-a-half has to be paid for all hours worked in excess of 40 in the 7-day period defined by the employer as the work week. Missouri has no additional laws requiring double time.

Slaves did not have the option of leaving their working conditions. You do.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X