Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Michigan Pay Docking

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michigan Pay Docking

    Sorry if this has already been addresses but i did not see listed.

    I work for a privately owned company in MI and some of their policies are questionable.

    The main one is that they will dock an employees pay if that person does not take a lunch. They will dock 1.5 hours for either forgetting to clock in or out or not taking a lunch. They will also dock 0.5 hrs (as a lunch) if the employee works any time over 6 hrs.

    I am a full time student and many of my days consist of only working 6 hr shifts so if I work 6.25 hrs they either dock me for the 0.5 hr lunch or the 0.25 hrs i worked over 6.

    My question is, does MI law allow them to remove hours worked from an employees pay? I understand that they can require (and do) a lunch taken but if not or forget to clock back in, can they dock us for it?

  • #2
    They cannot dock you for any of the reasons mentioned, and you can file a complaint with the state DOL for any unpaid time that you worked.

    However, other than docking you, you can be disciplined in any other way they find appropriate for any of those reasons, up to and including termination. So my advice to you would be, take the break they want you to take; don't forget to clock in or out (there is NO excuse for not clocking in or out - "forgetting" just doesn't cut it) and don't work over 6 hours if they don't want you to.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.