This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa - comp time laws

I am wondering how I determine if I am exempt or non-exempt, I'm not finding this anywhere . Also, what are the comp time laws in Iowa.

To answer the second question first, Iowa has no comp time laws. Under Federal law, if you are non-exempt comp time in lieu of overtime is illegal; if you are exempt, comp time is legal but not required by law - it will be up to the employer whether to provide comp time or not.

As to whether or not you are exempt or non-exempt, that's determined by your job duties. Patty will probably be able to provide you with the exact link but for starters, you can go to the DOL web site, www.dol.gov, and in the alphabetical search index look for Overtime and/or Exemptions.

I haven't forgotten about your question of yesterday.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...a_overview.htm

This is assuming that you don't work for a government entity which can, under certain circumstances, allow comp time for nonexempt employees.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Does this help.

I'm referred to a a working supervisor.
        My hourly wage is $8.50 an hour.
        I'm paid overtime of 1 1/2 times my hourly wage for anything over 40 hours.
        My primary duties are:
        to oversee the data entry department and assign the workflow as necessary.
        to ensure the integirty of the data provided to the data entry department, and gain management approval for discrepancies prior to entry
        to advise management of employee productivity and offer advice at appraisal time

Employee disciplinary matters must be approved by management.

Comment

If you are paid overtime then you are considered non-exempt, even if you qualify to be exempt.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

For example then, I also handle the PC maintenance in the facility, so if I am trying to troubleshoot a PC on Tuesday and end up being here 30 minutes late, then can they force me leave 30 minutes early on Friday, to avoid paying overtime?

Comment

Yes, they can.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X