This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-Time Max Hours

I have a question regarding how many hours a part-time employee can be scheduled to work in a day, and a week. Is there a max of five hours a day or can a part time employee be scheduled to work up to 39 hours a week regardless of how the hours are broken up throughout the week?

That's entirely up to your employer. With VERY few exceptions, the law does not dictate what number of hours constitutes a part time or a full time worker.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

what about days off for a part time worker. 2 hours a day Mon - Fri and 8 hours a day on Sat - Sun. She has worked two weeks straight on this schedule and a supervisor is wondering if we are violating any labor laws with this kind of schedule. 14 days straight, 36 hours a week without any days off from the schedule. Hope I explained this well enough for an answer.

Comment

The days off for a part-time worker would be the same as for a full-time worker. However, without knowing what state, we cannot advise as to whether or not there are any laws addressing this situation.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, California

Comment

uh-oh Michael?
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

According to information I received from a colleague only recently, CA is one of only two states where the law EVER puts a restriction on what can and cannot be considered part time, but it is only in certain circumstances and I have been unable to open the link he sent me. Michael, we're counting on you!
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Just checking, is Michael the California expert???

Comment

Yes, he is. If you see a response to your post from mtracy, you'll know you have the correct answer.

Comment

Where's Michael, can anyone else help me. I need an answer for a foolish supervisor who allowed this schedule to happen

Comment

I would not presume to guess whether California law is an exception here. We're all volunteers and answer those posts with subjects about which we have specific knowledge.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X