Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Reduction in pay rate as a method of witholding pay

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reduction in pay rate as a method of witholding pay

    My former employer has withheld pay through the method of reducing my pay rate for my last paycheck from $40/hour to minimum wage, indicating they are withholding this difference until they are satisified that they have received some computer files from me, which I returned prior to terminating my employment.

    I work out of Florida, the company is based in Virginia.

    Is this legal? I have an employment contract that specifies my hourly rate based on my annual salary. I have signed no document authorizing them to reduce my hourly rate under any circumstances.

  • #2
    You will have to have the contract reviewed by a local attorney. We cannot interpret a contract we have not read in its entirety.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3

      My employer stated that they were reducing my hourly rate, but the pay stub does not indicate this - the pay stub indicates "Travel Advance Payback", however there was no travel advance.


      • #4
        None of which changes Patty's answer, which is still correct.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.