Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have to work 8hrs w/no break in CA is it legal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to work 8hrs w/no break in CA is it legal?

Hi I just wanted to know if im getting screwed here.
    When I go to work on sundays I clock in at 10:30 an I need to be out by 6:30 so I dont go into overtime. The problem is that I am not allowed to clock out for a 30 minute break for this time period. They tell me since I am a key holder I must stay in the store at all times. They say I need to take a "working break" in which I can eat on the clock but have to stop eating when it get busy or there is a problem. So whats the deal? BTW this is in San Diego, CA

There is an exception to the meal period requirements in California for situations in which the employee is on duty by himself.

See the second paragraph here:
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

If you are a nonexempt (hourly-paid) employee, however, you must be paid for that time. What exactly are your job duties?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

But there is no written agreement

I am semi-management for an electronic retailer. There are two people in the store at the same time, me and the other worker. The problem is that according to company policy I am not to leave the store unless there is another key holder. I have asked for someone to come in and break me but it does not happen. I get paid but I have never signed any agreement stating that I take a on duty meal period.

Comment

I sell stuff behind a register

I just sell games and dvd's, and when there is a problem i am the last person in management to go to there are three of us

Comment

Then you can either address this with management (show them the link I gave you, and the law) or you can file a complaint with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X