Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

FL state law on demotions and reduction in pay

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FL state law on demotions and reduction in pay

    FLordia state laws
    I am employed at a non-profit company I was asked to either be terminated or take a demotion and deduction in pay by $200.00 I was salary and now am hourly. I was scared not to take the offer due to I thought I would not be eligable for unemployment. Can they do this and could I have decliened and still able to collect. I have not signed anything regarding the deduction or demotion.
    I had no write ups or disciplinary action and they said it was because there wasn't a position for me but they promoted someone else to supervisor with less pay in my spot.
    HELP please?
    Last edited by Dulcie Slappy; 02-21-2006, 06:33 AM. Reason: added not versus have

  • #2
    There is nothing in the law that prohibits them from demoting you, and nothing in the law that prohibits them from lowering your pay. Nothing you have posted suggests that anything illegal has transpired.

    If they had terminated you it is probable that you would have been able to collect but without knowing more about why they chose to do this is is impossible to say for certain.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Fl laws

      I didn't polish enough apples and as a supervisor i tried to make suggestions for improvements which didn't match well with some upper management.
      Thank you I appreciate you time


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.