This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch break deduction in VA?

I work 7:30AM to 5:30PM. Up 'til this morning we have been forced to take 30 minute lunch breaks. My boss informed me today that "VA has changed the law" and now requires you to take one hour. Is this really a new VA law or just another way for my company to get under my skin? Thanks.

To my knowledge, neither VA nor any other state has a law requiring an hour lunch break.

However, it doesn't matter. Your employer controls your schedule and dictates what hours you work. If he says you take an hour lunch break, you take an hour lunch break. He can't require LESS than the state provides, but he can require more.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

breaks?

my wife has been working 9 to 5:30 with no breaks, because there is no one else in store with her. isn't this against the law?

Comment

davy 82 - please start your own new thread & what state - thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

cf rage - I don't see where Va. requires any meal or rest breaks for adults. However; as cbg indicated, you are required to take the hour for lunch if that is what your employer says you are to take.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
            cf rage - I don't see where Va. requires any meal or rest breaks for adults. However; as cbg indicated, you are required to take the hour for lunch if that is what your employer says you are to take.
            cfrage was the OP. To davy82, though, the answer is still the same as Betty cited.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No Federal and no Virginia law requires an employee receive a lunch break.

If your employer says you take a break, you take a break, and you take it for the length your employer says to take it.

If your employer says you don't take a break, you don't take a break.

That should clarify both the original post of two years ago, and that of the hijacker.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                cfrage was the OP. To davy82, though, the answer is still the same as Betty cited.
                Oops, I just meant to tell davy82 to start his own thread & tell us his state in case it wasn't same as the original OP. I don't know why I replied to original OP from 2006 - it was just one of those "stupid" things my mind does sometimes.
                Last edited by Betty3; 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X