This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timesheets: legality of filling out for someone else

Is it legal to fill out someone else's timesheet in Maryland? I am in charge of filling out my departments timesheets and keeping track of their sick & vacation time. Is it legal for me to input information on behalf of someone else?

There is no law prohibiting it. Except, why are you tasked with doing this? Why can't the employee do it himself?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It just seems unethical or wrong in some way. Unfortunately that is how our companys payroll system is set-up. One person from each department is in charge of submitting the timesheets for the group?! So time consuming and what a hassle!!!

Comment

So how does THAT person know what hours to submit?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have to keep a daily log of who's late, sick...on vacation, decided to take a personal day...leave early...
          I am mother hen checking on all the chicks. It is a big pain especially if I am out and miss checking up on everyone and make an error on the timesheet. UGH!

Comment

I agree that there are probably a dozen better ways of handling it, and I don't blame you for looking for alternate solutions. But there is nothing illegal about the way your company is handling it; "It's against the law" isn't going to get you an out.

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps the fact that there are too many hands in the pot, making it more likely that an error will be made in transcribing the time, might help? Maybe even a study as to how many errors were made that could have been avoided if the employee filled out their own sheets?
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X