This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-weekly payperiod OT Fla

I work for a company in Florida that runs under a Bi weekly pay period. I am a bit unclear on how overtime is calculated. For example, say I work 43 hours the first week and on the second week I work 35 hours. That totals 78 hours for that 2 week period,YET shouldn't 3 of those hours be OT from the first week, or does Florida Law allow an employer to group the total hours together thereby RIPPING OFF THE WORKING MAN!?!?!?

What industry do you work in? It makes a difference.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I am in the communications cableing industry.... voice and data networking.

Comment

In that case, overtime needs to be calucated on a weekly, not a per pay period basis.

In the example you provided, you would have to be paid the three hours at time and a half.

Be aware that if you work overtime in week one of the pay period, your employer is within his rights to send you home at a point when the two weeks would balance out to 80 hours.

For example, in week one you work 45 hours. You MUST be paid five hours at time and a half. However, your employer may legally send you home in week two when you have worked 32.5 hours, making your combined time, with OT, the same as if you worked 80 hours of straight time.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Hmmm,
          Then I think my employer might be trying to pull something. I'll know for sure this Friday. Do you have a link or a legal referance that I can refer to?

Comment

It's part of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which is the primary Federal law regarding paying employees in this country.

Comment

Richardcellar: This site does not permit you to actively solicit people to visit your web site. Such postings will be deleted and, if continued, your membership on this site will be cancelled.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X