Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

can they suspend w/pay then take it away?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can they suspend w/pay then take it away?

    I was suspended with pay for the remainder of my work week schedule. The GM called me in on Friday afternoon, I was dismissed (long story under discrimination forum). My original schedule had been altered just before they called me in to fire me without my knowledge, I was only paid for the day I came in and was sent home suspended and they told me after the fact that it didn't include weekends. They shorted me $500 and change. Is there anything I can do to get the money that is rightfully owed to me?

  • #2
    You are not "rightfully owed" anything, except the pay for the hours you worked. It is within the company's rights to suspend you without pay.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      I was suspended WITH pay. I only recieved pay for the day that I actually clocked in, before they sent me home one hour later ( I was paid just for that day, at $18.49 x 11.79 hours). The GM stated that I would receive pay for the remainder of my work week...which ended on the 6th.
      Last edited by KLT67; 11-06-2005, 12:12 PM.


      • #4
        Patty's answer is correct. You are not legally owed anything except wages for the time you worked. If your employer chooses to make the suspension unpaid, they may do so.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.