This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission Employee Question

I am a sales associate for a retail store and am paid solely on commission. I receive no base salary yet I am required to work 50+ hour work weeks and am required to do alot of additional tasks that do not include anything to do with my sales duties. In fact on occasion, I have even been forced to come in for "inventory" on a day that our shop was closed to the public. Do I have any legal recourse for my additional "duties" or the overtime I am required to work.

I feel like my bosses are using me as a "free laborer" because they can use me for non-sales activities without paying me. Yet, my next question is that I am also the only sales associate not considered a "manager" therefore I do not receive a base salary. We only have three sales people and the other two are considered "managers" but I am responsible for all the same duties, except, having keys and an alarm code.

Is there any hope for my situation besides looking for a new job?

Not that I can see off the top of my head.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

So the law does not protect commission employees from being used as long and the employers wants or do to whatever they want?

There has to be something that protects these types of employees. I mean, my bosses have me do tasks that make it so I am off the sales floor and that means I can't make a decent living. Plus, I am younger (22 yrs old) then all the other employees and I get paid considerable less. Do I have any hope at all?

Comment

Not that I can see at this point. However, you are certainly free to contact your state Dept. of Labor and ask them this question.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I will have to find something out....thank you with your advice. Any advice of someone I should contact to get more information about the subject.

Comment

Search for the Dept. of Labor for your state. You didn't say what state you worked in, so I can't help further.

Comment

My apologizes, I live in California.

Comment

Contact the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement of the Employment Development Department. You can find a local office in the state government pages of your phone book.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X