Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

MA - Refusing to pay for Holiday???

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MA - Refusing to pay for Holiday???

    I'll try to keep this short, but it's a bit complicated. I work for a private ambulance company in MA. My employer entered into a contract with FEMA to send 4 staffed ambulances to Texas to help with Hurricaine Rita relief efforts. We were paid at a rate which was above what our normal weekly wage would have been. We were there for 2 weeks, during which time, Columbus Day happened. Our company policy, written in our HR's Employee Handbook, is that on any of the 11 Holiday's listed (Columbus Day being one of them), every full-time employee will get paid 8 hours of straight-time, regardless of whether they were scheduled to work that day or not.

    The 8 of us did not receive our Holiday pay for Columbus Day, and the reply we received from upper management was, "You all made a bunch of money while working in expect that we'd give you the Holiday pay just makes you greedy."

    At this time, it's a matter of sheer principle over the amount of money. Can they legally withhold our Holiday pay simply because they deem that we "already earned too much" that week???

    Any insight that anyone can provide will be muchly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.


  • #2
    Legally yes, because holiday pay is not required by law. It's unfair and, in my opinion, petty, but it is not illegal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.