Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.


This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patty

    I was gonna PM you this to keep it off the board, but I couldn't.

    Employer figured backpay at $4 an hour. He was cut a check for a little over $1,400 after taxes and withholding.

    He's now an hourly non-exempt employee being paid $10 an hour for 40 hours a week, time and 1/2 for anything over 40.

    They stated that he was never "management". That's funny... He was hired in as the Night Manager, then promoted to Front Desk Manager. He also had to pull "Manager on Duty" weekends over the summer during busy times, and the company even made a nameplate with his name on it to put on the wall in the "Manager on Duty" slot on those weekends where he was at the hotel for more than 48 hours straight and not allowed to leave the premises. Memos sent to the GM, AGM, and him had his title as "Front Desk Manager" on them. Memos to all employees when he became Front Desk manager stated his title and that they were to report directly to HIM with any scheduling or other problems.


    He says he will stay there until they cut his pay and/or try to schedule him differently now that they are no longer treating him as an exempt employee they can work 60-70 hours a week without paying. If they try to cut his hours to avoid paying him, he will be looking for other employment.

  • #2
    If he was really nonexempt all along, and the back pay was calculated at less than minimum wage, he can still file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor. Sheesh.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.