This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day off withheld from exempt emp Pay.

This happened to me this week and I have never heard of such a thing.

I work for a large fortune 500 company and I am an exempt Manager(9yrs). The company has guidelines in place and I have read the laws a ca.gov bla bla bla. We work 10hrs per day(in writing, must be there 6a-4p) 5-7 days per week.

I am out of vacation days and out of sick days for the year, I thought I had one more sick day left but I was wrong and took a day off last week. I was not notified and when I looked at my bank online(direct deposit) I noticed that my check was different.

As far as I can tell from reading stuff online the company can do this if they dock you a whole day. The next issue is banked vacation, what does that meen, we accrue vacation in the current year to be used the following year so technically I get 20 days a year so I most likely have 19 or so banked or earned for next year. Is this what the law meens by banked and should this have been offered to me as an option?

We are also asked to work 6 & sometimes 7 days per week depending on the business but I dont get extra for that so it seems pretty chicken that I got docked for this!

Yes, it is legal to dock you for missing time due to illness if your company has a policy where you have a reasonable number of sick days and you have no more days available.

They were under no obligation to give you the option of using a vacation day instead, particularly if the time you earn this year is only available for use next year.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X