Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

A change in wage without being notified

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A change in wage without being notified

    This is in the state of Mississippi, working for an out of state contractor in MS. I started the job at $20.00 per hour. They paid me $25.00. I told my boss, he said not to worry about it. If I had a problem with my paycheck I should go in and tell them about it, but I do not see you having a problem just don"t worry about it. We work 7 days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day. The third week, the company took $1100.00 out of my paycheck for what they say was over payment and now they say that I am only making $15.00 per hr. Can they legally do this? What would my recourse be? Of course I quit the job and they only owe me one paycheck of 92 hours. This is my home town and also this is the disaster area for Hurricane Katrina.
    Thanks for your help,
    Yvonne Smith

  • #2
    Unfortunately, Mississippi has very few wage and hour laws of its own; they default to federal law for most issues, and the FLSA does not mandate that the employee be notified of a rate change before the hours are worked.

    So, in effect, they are reducing your current hourly rate to recoup what they overpaid you?

    You can try contacting the state Dept. of Employment Security to see if they can assist you, but I would not be overly optimistic.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.