X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Employment Status - Salary to Hourly

Hello

I work for a consulting firm and one of my clients are doing a FMLA audit. Most employees were hired as salaried employees and not classified as exempt or non-exempt. Most of their offer letters extending offers to employees as "salary" employees. Now that they are looking to re-classify staff - they're looking to change employees from salary to hourly. The formula they're using is if employee was hired at $40k/year we are taking $40k/year and dividing it by 50 hours a week to come up with their hourly rate. Now if the person works 50 hours a week they're still making the offer letter amount however if the company slows and no overtime is available they're now making less than there offer letter. Is this legal?

Yes, they can restructure the hourly rate any way they want. And, BTW, you're talking FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) here, not FMLA (Family & Medical Leave Act).
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X