This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalitly of Photocopying other's timecards

Is it illegal to make photocopies of other people's time cards?

I have a situation at work here in Georgia where the owner of the hotel has employed her daughter as the manager. Among a lot of other things, she is constantly late, and leaves early, yet is always credited with 80 hours every two weeks and a full paycheck.

I want to keep track of this with photocopies. Is it illegal?

Is it illegal to make photocopies of other people's time cards? No.

I have a situation at work here in Georgia where the owner of the hotel has employed her daughter as the manager. Among a lot of other things, she is constantly late, and leaves early, yet is always credited with 80 hours every two weeks and a full paycheck. I want to keep track of this with photocopies. Is it illegal? Yes, it's legal. It will probably also get you fired once the owner finds out what you're doing.

This is the owner's daughter. If the owner wants to pay the girl for 40 hours at $500 per hour, she is free to do so. When you own your own business, you can put all your relatives on the payroll and pay them whatever you want.

How many hours the daughter works and what she's paid is absolutely none of your business. I also don't know what you're going to do with copies of the timecards. A business owner paying someone for hours he or she didn't work is not illegal. You'll have a nice stack of copies and not a darn thing you can do with it other than dust the pile occasionally.

Comment

The owner is her step-father. He leaves the hotel running to her and her mother. He doesn't know it is going on, because she tells us to keep things from him, this being one of them.

I intended to show the copies to him. I'm tired of looking the other way on this.
      Last edited by Crusty1207; 10-10-2005, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Okay but you could well find yourself in the "shoot the messenger" position. I can only advise you to proceed with caution.

Comment

And if you get fired over this, it will be entirely legal. I say to you once again, what other employees get paid is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

If I were the stepfather I'd fire you in a heartbeat, regardless of what action I took with regards to the daughter.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Well, I've thought about it all. I don't care if I get fired. I do care that I am asked to be complacent in or look the other way in regards to unethical behavior.

One thing I forgot to add. She was on salary, but they made payroll cuts and now she works on wages. The female owner (her mother) is always looking to cut payroll, and she works evening and night shifts in order to do so.

I know the owner is a fair man and he would be pissed if he knew. He has only been married to her mother for a few years. They are hiding stuff from him. Certain expenses, money missing, creditors. I hate to see him get taken that way.

This is a tempoary, minimum wage job for me anyway. I'm in college and this job is to help out with expenses. I don't care what other people are making, never have. She threatens to write me up for stupid sh*t all the time and I want to even the playing fields.

All I wanted to know was the legality regarding making the photocopies.
            Last edited by Crusty1207; 10-10-2005, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Good luck. Hopefully the owner/husband will appreciate your efforts.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X