Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Question Regarding Salaried Position in Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question Regarding Salaried Position in Florida

    Just to provide some brief background, I have been a salaried Manager for an Employer in Florida for 5 years. My salery was defined at $XXX/40 hr work week. We have been told that we are expected to work 55-58 hours a week, despite salary indication a period of 40 hrs a week. In actuality, I have been clocking 65- 70 hours a week, and in some cases, more.
    My questions are regarding Vacation time taken from us(salaried management) during the Mandatory Hurricane Evacuation during Hurricaine Dennis here in Florida in 2004. We were docked Earned Vacation Hours for 3 days during this evacuation, which was split up between 2 pay periods, 2 days in one perion, 1 day in another. In both periods, I had worked in excess of 40 hours BEFORE the evacation dates, yet still was docked vacation time. I have since left the company, and they took this time from my final paycheck( I left with -20 hours vacation.) In other words, I received 1/2 my final paycheck, but had always worked 60+ hours- Should they have paid me the entire amount, or am I just out of luck?

  • #2
    It is lawful for the employer to debit your vacation accrual for absence days, regardless of the reason for the absence. If you left "owing" the employer for vacation days you were paid but hadn't yet earned, then yes, they can deduct that from your final paycheck.

    I'm not saying I agree with your employer's actions, just that they're not illegal.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.