Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exempt position with required office hours?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt position with required office hours?

I'm working in an exempt position in a non-profit agency in San Francisco, California, and my agency is requiring exempt employees to be in the office during office hours, even if there is no related work task to be completed by the exempt employee during that time. The agency just plainly requires the presence of the exempt employees during office hours. Is the agency allowed to do so based on California Labor Code?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the employer can mandate that an exempt employee be present during office hours. Many, many employers require that an exempt or supervisory employee be present when non-exempt employees are working.

This has nothing to do with labor codes or wage and hour laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3
      Yes, the employer can mandate that an exempt employee be present during office hours. Many, many employers require that an exempt or supervisory employee be present when non-exempt employees are working.

This has nothing to do with labor codes or wage and hour laws.
      Thanks for your information. But what about the staff that I supervise are actually off-site stuff who are not working in my office? That seems quite nonsense to me, because I am their supervisor but if I have to stay in the main office for the whole day, how can I supervise my off-site staff? To be more accurate, I have only one staff working in the same office with me and my other 7 staff are working off-site.

So, if my employer requires me to stay in the office for office hours, does that sound right?

Comment

So, if my employer requires me to stay in the office for office hours, does that sound right? Maybe. At least your staff will know where to find you if they have any questions or problems.

I can't tell you whether your employer is making a sound decision; all I can tell you is that it is a completely legal decision.

Comment

thank you for your response

Thanks alot for your response, Beth3! They are very helpful!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X