This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can they demote you and take your pay raise down in Ill

I was demoted from a job that they never even spent time to train me in i learned on my own went to college passed the course and got a raise 1 month ago now they are hiring back the old manager and dropping my pay. Can they do that

Yes, they can. You just have to be notified of the lower rate before you work the hours that rate applies to.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Demotion w/same salary but ...

Demoted while out on Doctor's disability, replaced by prior Off Mgr, no sign, excellent reviews, same salary, but all "extra work" pay was cut along with all bonus chances. 17K was cut from my overall w2 reported income without notice. Again, salary stayed the same, the bonus and overtime was taken away without prior notice. Is that o.k.?

Comment

It would have helped if you had included the information about the disability in your original post. I take it you missed time because of your condition? Was it an FMLA-qualifying condition and, if so, did your employer designate it as such?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

sorry, new at this. The disability was a week long hospitalization following outpt surgery. Pulmonary embolis. I worked from home remote and was paid, however under doctor's orders not to go into the office for 4 weeks following my hospital stay. This was not filed under FMLA.

Comment

Beth? Not my area of expertise.

Comment

What reason were you given for the termination? Contrary to popular belief, the law does NOT say that you cannot be fired while on medical disability and it does NOT say that if you have a doctor's note your job is automatically protected.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The gentleman he brought in was a rehire from 5-6 years ago. I have been in this position for 4 with one prior office mgr before me for a year. This gentleman was the original office mgr. The only reason I was given was that I excelled so well in one area of my job that he wanted to isolate me to that function and relieve me of office mgr duties b/c this "person" coming in had strong managerial skills that could focus on solely managing the office and getting it turned around. There were no signs of any thoughts of a problem. My employer would not allow me the opportunity to hire, fire, write up, discipline etc.,,, he did it all. However, this new office mgr will have full reign to perform those functions, and he does apparently-it's not just talk. The new office mgr has developed a job description for my position, no other employee in our office of 13 has a job description to date but me. I know what they are attempting to do ... make me quit. I can't afford to quit right now until I find a replacement job. I am under extreme micro management unlike anyone else in the company. I have heard that I do not stand a chance fighting any battles relating to this or my harassment...do you agree?
                Last edited by marciawannabe; 10-10-2005, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Since nothing you describe meets the legal definition of harassment, yes, I agree.

It does not appear that your being on short term disability had anything to do with the subsequent events - rather than a previous employee became available and they preferred him to you. This is legal.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X