This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips

Hello! I am a waitress in Indiana. I make $2.13 an hour. My manager goes in and changes our tips so we look like we have made enough tips to hit min wage. There are alot of nights our dining room isn't busy and we are lucky to get 2 tables all night. The manager says this helps us out because on the nights say we make $80.00 then she still only wants us to claim enough to equal out to $5.15 an hour. Also, our delivery drivers makes $6.00 an hour and makes $80.00 to $100.00 dollars a night but they always get to claim that they didn't make any tips at all. I don't see how this is fair? If this is against the law, i am not even sure where i would report this to. Any help would be great! Thanks for your time!

First of all, you must report all tips you receive. Tips cannot be offset from week to week and you can't "hold" them for "bad" weeks.
    However, the workweek is the controlling factor here. A bad night can be offset by a good night, as long as the total for the workweek makes up the minimum wage, at least. But, if your employer is telling you not to report tips that you received, or is fudging your tips reported in the workweek (as defined by the employer), so they do not have to make up the difference to minimum wage, then that is a violation of law.

If the latter is occuring, you can contact the state Dept. of Labor.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X