This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA - Any law on being late?

I have heard from various sources that in California, it's state law that you have 4 minutes after your scheduled time of starting before you're counted late. This is to account for anything unforseen that happens.

Now, I was told by my manager today that I can be written up for being a minute late for 2 times of the week, no matter if I'm on time for the other days of the month. Can she legally do this? Can this go into my employee record? Or does she have no right to write me up for something like this.

There is no such law. If the employer elects to have no grace period, they can legally do that.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

They are free to have or not have a grace period at their discretion.

That being said, if they fire you, arriving less than 4 minutes late is not going to be too helpful to them in establishing "misconduct" and thus cause for firing you... for purposes of Unemployment Insurance.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X