Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Comp. time in Ohio

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comp. time in Ohio

    I work for a construction and aggregate company. Our corporate office, which dictates our policies for multiple division locations in Ohio, does not state any comp. time allowance. If an employee is absent during the day for a doctor's appointment, kids appt., etc. one department manager is allowing that individual to "make it up" by working through her lunch or after 5pm in one day or over a period of time. Our policy states they must use sick time, or not be paid. The other department managers follow policy, but the division Controller allows this particular dept. manager to get away with it. Any suggestions or labor laws someone can help me with? Thanks a bunch!

  • #2
    This is entirely an internal issue, since what you describe is not comp time and is not a legal issue. It's entirely legal for an employer to allow an employee to make up missed time. It's also entirely legal for an employer to refuse to allow an employee to make it up. If the corporate office wants to permit one department to allow make-up time, they may.

    "Comp time" so called, is when an employee works overtime and is given time off in lieu of overtime pay. Unless handled precisely correctly, it is illegal in the private sector for non-exempt employees, and legal but not required for exempt employees.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.