Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AZ- New hires - How long do we have to pay them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattymd
    replied
    Common sense doesn't always get you out of the legal requirement. At some point, even if it is one day in the pay period, someone's gonna file a claim for unpaid wages and there you go. That's one of the problems with paying current (pay period ending = check date). The payroll has to process SO early that you are forever making adjustments and having to do manual checks. If I started on 9/6 and the pay period ended the 15th, which was also payday for the pay period of the 1st through the 15th, I would expect a check.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    I'm not in my office today so I don't have access to my source material to check AZ specifically, but most states do have laws that say an employee has to be paid within x number of days of the end of the pay period. So I'd rather be safe than sorry; I'd be prepared to do manual checks for all new hires. In fact, I've worked for companies that had it as a policy that all new hires would receive one manual check, regardless of when in the pay period they started. It actually had more to do with the setting up of direct deposit, if the employee elected it, than anything else, but by making it an across the board policy everyone got treated the same and no one felt slighted.

Leave a comment:

• Jackal21
    replied
    I agree. I think 24 days is way too long to go without a check. I just didn't know what the legal answer was. I mean if someone started work on the 14th they should not expect a check on the 15th. Would we be okay in that situation waiting until the 30th? I just want to know what to tell our payroll department. Is there any law that says new employees must be paid within X number of days? Or do we just have to do manual checks for each new hire?

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    I wouldn't want to defend this either. First of all, I wonder why the cutoff is so early. Secondly, the payroll cutoff date is irrelevant. The state, nor the employee, cares what the payroll cutoff is. I've been in payroll management for over 15 years and I would be doing a check for the amount he would have been paid on the check of the 15th had the paperwork made the cutoff.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Patty can tell you for certain, but making a new employee wait almost a month for their first paycheck is not a decision I'd want to defend in front of the DOL. I suggest you look into a manual check.

Leave a comment:

• Jackal21
    started a topic AZ- New hires - How long do we have to pay them?

AZ- New hires - How long do we have to pay them?

How long do we have pay new hires their first check? Our regular paydays are the 15th and the last day of the month. We had 2 new hires start on 9/6, but payroll's cutoff was the 4th. So now they have to wait for their first check until 9/30. Is this okay in Arizona or are we violating a law? Our payroll dept. is based in Denver if that makes a difference.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X