Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to charge employees for getting their checks on Friday vs. Monday?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal to charge employees for getting their checks on Friday vs. Monday?

In California, my husband works for a drywall company, who used to pay all his employees on Monday. My husband and a few of the other employees have requested they get their check's on Friday. His employer has now said they can have their checks on Friday, if they pay him $10. When my husband said, take it out of my check, he told my husband, that his wife, who works in the company, did not want a paper trail. That makes me think it's not legal...so I need help on this please. Let me know, as it makes me wonder why she is so worried about a paper trail. Thank you for any and all input regarding this matter.

Under CA law, I don't see anything that would prohibit the company from charging a fee to release checks before payday. Of course (and they probably don't know this) that would make their employment tax liability date Friday instead of Monday.

However, why are the employees making such a big deal of this? Pay day is pay day. Budget accordingly. The employer is not required, nor in my opinion, should be, making exceptions, fee or not. That is a terrible precedent to set.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I disagree as to whether the fee scheme works. The employee can just argue that payday is actually Friday and that they are being charged $10 unless they want their pay to arrive late - Monday. Basically like a Necker cube, but it could definitely be twisted.

Comment

But in California, as in most states, the employer must designate what the regular pay day is and conspicuously post it.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Paydays.htm

So, either the pay day is Monday or it is Friday. It can't be both. And it can't go switching back and forth depending upon the whims of the employer or the desire of the employee.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The way I see it, this is still asking for trouble. You make a good point though.

Comment

Oh, I agree. If I were the employer, I would just say that Mondays are pay days, period. No releasing early checks, period. Fee or no. But that's over 15 years as a Payroll Manager, and for some pretty large companies, speaking.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X