This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA - Unpaid "training day"

I recently began working for a non-profit. Upon initially qualifying for the job based on an interview, I was required to go through an 8-hour (including lunch break) training day to see if I actually could perform the necessary job functions, the primary one being door-to-door fundraising. I followed a trainer around for most of the 5 hours of fundraising, with the earlier part of the day having been devoted to learning the script and other preparations. I also fundraised on my own for about an hour and even raised some $. I was hired and am still employed there. But the "training day" sure looked, smelled and tasted like WORK to me! Is it legal to not pay an employee for a so-called "training day"?

Generally speaking, mandatory training is compensable time. However, there has been some question as to whether this kind of "try out" time is compensable since, theoretically, you did not have the job yet. I suggest you call the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and inquire there.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you really like your current job,
      forgetting it might be the best choice~
      Review>>Tools>>Sales
      >>Teach

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X