This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Witholding Law in Michigan

The Jobs Vice President of operations told payroll to deduct all of my paycheck except for 78.00 bue to a loan that I took out from the company but was agreed for me to only have to pay 150.00 per check until the loan was repaid. It it legal for him to withhold the balance of my paycheck other than the 150.00 that was agreed upon when the loan was issued.

The law in Michigan only states that deductions may be made that are 1) required by law, such as taxes and court-ordered payments (child support, garnishments, tax liens, student loans and 2) any other deduction the employee has authorized before the deduction is made.

Since you only authorized $150 be deducted against the loan, that's all they should have deducted. Do you have a copy of the signed agreement? I would get one and contact the state Wage and Hour Division of the Dept. of Labor. It appears they have deducted more than you authorized, which they cannot legally do.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X