Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Need help with employer taking time out of paycheck

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help with employer taking time out of paycheck

    First off, I'm working in Lubbock, Texas.

    At my hotel job, our employer is taking 30 minutes out of every 8 hour shift any employee works, and an hour out of every shift that lasts more than 8 hours. This time is taken out to compensate for "breaks and/or lunch." During the entire shift, we do not get to leave the working area unless it is to do something required by the job, such as delivering needed items to guests and similar tasks. We do not clock out for any period of time and are required to perform the work duties at all times. Basically we are having time taken out of our paychecks without getting any breaks.

    Is this legal? Is there anything that can be done about this? It seems like the employers are illegally taking hours out of our net time worked.

    Another problem I had was an amount of money came up missing during one of my shifts. The money has been taken out of my paycheck before I was even notified. The loss was due to theft or misappropriation, and under the Texas payday law, shouldn't be taken out of my paycheck unless I sign a document allowing the money to be deducted from my paycheck. I haven't been brought under minimum wage due to the deduction, however. I was given no proof and was not notified before it was deducted.

    can my employer take this out of my paycheck legally? Is this simply an example of severely poor management?

    I can use all the help I can get, thanks
    Last edited by LubbockEmployee; 08-13-2005, 04:37 AM.

  • #2
    Under Federal law, any breaks of 20 minutes or less must be paid. However, Texas law does not require any breaks or meal periods at all.

    If your are not relieved of duty for any "breaks" of any kind that last longer than 20 minutes, you must be paid for that time. End of story.

    Contact the TX Workforce Commission and file a claim for unpaid wages.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.