Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Ohio Service charge

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ohio Service charge

    I recently posted over my concerns regarding lunch breaks, but I also have a question regarding the Service Charge.

    At the country club where I am employed, employees start out at a pay rate of $8 an hour. Job duties in the particular area that I work are, serving lunch and dinner, cleaning and resetting our own tables, and making our own alcoholic beverages. Members pay a annual fee to be able to dine inside the club house, as well as they are fully charged for meals/drinks purchased.

    My question, however, is in regards to the "Service Charge" that is on their bill. This service charge in no way is a gratuity for the servers. Yet, most members, if not all, are under the impression that it is our tip. This service charge in the past was used for employee meals, christmas parties, etc. Yet, that was taken away from the staff approximately a year ago. The money now only directly benefits the owner of the club. It is approximately 15% of the bill.

    Legally can he continue to keep such a charge on the bills, knowing it is misleading. I've found no information on this charge in the membership handbook.

  • #2
    There is no law I know of requiring such a service charge to be passed through to the servers. Many restaurant employers do, at least to some extent, but I know of nothing that says it is illegal not to do so.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.