Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Withholding Negative Vacation balance?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Withholding Negative Vacation balance?

    I am trying to find out for a number of states if you are allowed to withhold pay from an employee's final paycheck if they terminate employment with a negative PTO or vacation balance. I know in CA you cannot do this, but I think you can in other states if you have a signed authorization to do so. Anybody know where I might be able to find a state by state breakdown. I need to know the info for about 13 different states. Thanks.

  • #2
    Deductions from Pay

    You are right in that the answer depends on the state. I suggest you look at the following website for additional information:
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      Any idea what the rules are for Utah, Arizona and Massachusetts?


      • #4
        This question is too detailed for it to be included in a normal "list" of do's and don't for states. However, off the top of my head, California is the only state which does not allow this.

        And, if I may, I would suggest if you are in that many states, you need to be subscribing to some kind of labor/payroll law service for easy research and to keep you up-to-date on changes. The three top services for this purpose are Commerce Clearing House, Bureau of National Affairs, and the Research Institute of America.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.